Destinations in Mu Cang Chai: Important Tourist Places and Attractions
Mu Cang Chai is a district of Yen Bai province, it shares the border in the north with Van Ban district of Lao Cai province, neighboring in the south of Muong La district of Son La province, being the west of Than Uyen Lai Chau province, sharing in the east of Van Chan district and Yen Bai province.
The district is located at the foot of Hoang Lien Son mountain range, at an altitude of 1,000 m above sea level. Want to get Mu Cang Chai district, traveler will go through Khau Pha Pass that is one of the four imposing passes in the Northwest of Vietnam.
Mu Cang Chai terraced fields
Location: Concentrating mostly in 3 communes of La Pan Tan, Che Cu Nha and De Xu Phinh, Mu Cang Chai District, Yen Bai Province.
Due to the steep feature, fertile soil and mountain cliffs often stock water, the local people, mainly Mong ethnic minorities, can grow rice and establish terraced fields, one after another, from the foot to nearly top of mountains. Generations to generations of these people have made terraced fields as today.
The Beauty of Terraced Rice Fields Changes Seasonally
When being seen from afar, the terraced rice fields look like a picture of nature whose colour changes seasonally, exhibiting its most alluring charm when the new crop begins, green rice grows and the field is lush with ripening rice.
On 18 October 2007, Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism recognized 500ha - terraced fields in 3 communes of La Pan Tan, Che Cu Nha and De Xu Phinh (Mu Cang Chai) as a national landscape.
The paragliding festival is held annually in May and September in Khau Pha Pass, Mu Cang Chai District to honour and promote the values of the terraced paddy fields and ethnic peoples’ culture in the locality.
Participating in the festival, visitors will have the opportunity admire the beauty of Mu Cang Chai terraced rice fields from above.
Grilled chicken with leaves of Mac Mat
For grilled dishes of Thai ethnic people in general in Vietnam or in Mu Cang Chai in particular, the leave of Mac Mat is a really important spice.
Grilled chicken with leaves of Mac Mat has sweet and sour taste. This dish is served with Cham Cheo - A kind of sauce mixed of salt, fragrant herbs of different kinds of ethnic groups in the northwest of Vietnam.
What do you buy in Mu Cang Chai as gifts?
How To Get There
You should wake up early, around 4:30 AM as you need to have breakfast before getting on a local bus that departs at 5.30 AM to Mu Cang Chai Town.
Note: The bus will not stop for breakfast. Buses will pass by many tea plantations and the beautiful impressive Khau Pha pass.
- Bus fare: 100,000VND.
- Departure: in front of Yen Bai bus station (218 Tran Hung Dao St, Yen Bai).
- Distance: 183km (6 - 7 hours).
- Make sure that you walk to the main building to buy ticket and avoid following any driver who convinces you to get on his vehicle.
- Ask the driver to let you get off at Yen Bai bus station (Bến xe khách Yên Bái).
- There are many hotels, guesthouses here and you can get the early bus to Mu Cang Chai.
- Departure from My Dinh: 9:15AM - 5:00PM (Tel: 0915 274 679)
- Departure from Giap Bat: 8:30AM (Tel: 0915 274 678)
The trains usually depart at night (7:40PM, 8:35PM, 9:10PM, 9:50PM) and arrive in Yen Bai train station in the early morning (4 - 5 hours).
- Hanoi train station (station B, Tran Qui Cap St): Ticket Hours: 7:30 - 19:30
- Yen Bai Train Station: 218 Tran Hung Dao St, Hong Ha Ward, Yen Bai City, Tel: (84-29) 862756
Yen Bai – Hanoi train:
- Departure time: 6:50, 14:40, 23:15, 0:40
- Price: 30,000 VND – 35,000 VND/1 ticket
Getting around Mu Cang Chai
- Stay in Mu Cang Chai town. Rent a motorbike and start your journey. From the center of the town to Che Cu Nha, De Xu Phinh, La Pan Tan is just about 21km.
- Motorbike for rent: 200,000 VND /day. Sometimes, you have to deposit 2,000,000 VND
Where we can stay in Mu Cang Chai?